Elderly man, 76, dies after ‘firebomb’ attack on his home while he was asleep inside
A pensioner has died after a “firebomb” attack on his home in Liverpool.
The 76-year-old man passed away just over two weeks after his house was engulfed in flames as he was sleeping, the Liverpool Echo reports.
One local claimed the fire was caused by a “petrol bomb”, although this has not been confirmed by police.
Merseyside Police previously said a man and a woman were rescued from the property by firefighters and taken to hospital.
Emergency services were called to the scene at 3.20am on Thursday, September 1.
One witness previously told the Echo that an elderly couple were sleeping in the home when the blaze erupted.
Today, Merseyside Police confirmed that the man who was rescued from the fire died on September 16.
A spokeswoman for the force said detectives were awaiting the results of a post-mortem exam.
Detective Inspector Katie Coote said: “We have broadened the investigation into his death and his family have been informed.
“They are being supported by our specially trained liaison officers. Following a joint investigation with Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service we have established that the fire was caused deliberately.
“We are appealing for witnesses who were in the area at that time and saw something suspicious to please come forward and help us with the investigation.
“I would urge those who have not already spoken to police who witnessed what happened or who captured the incident on CCTV or dashcam footage to contact us.”
Anyone who witnessed the incident or with any information can contact Merseyside Police by Direct Message on Twitter @MerPolCC or Facebook ‘Merseyside Police Contact Centre’, or by calling 101, quoting reference 22000649658.
You can also contact the independent charity Crime stoppers anonymously, on 0800 555 111 or via their online form.